Every year my mom and her friends head up to the mountains for their annual week long trail ride. Originally we would all go on the Wagon Train which is an organized trail ride and wagon pull that would often times retrace the route of the Oregon trail. However, I suppose as everyone gets older, creature comforts over ride and the idea of a hot shower and a soft bed take us to my parents cabin. Because of my schedule I was only able to get away for an overnight trip but an eventful one it was. I got up to the cabin at noon on Sunday and we immediately went to work building fence. After a good session of moving fencing we saddled up for our first ride. It was a beautiful day and we were joined by the Gammond's. We were also able to get an exhilarating motorcycle ride in which took us out to the breaks of the Umatilla River. What could be better than following such a fun day with a "pit meeting" at the camp fire over cocktails.
Monday morning was another lovely day and we started out trying to go for a ride on the horses but my horse, Keeper, seemed to have something bothering her so we decided to take the motorcycles again. Oh what a ride. We rode in a favorite spot of mine cleverly called "the pasture." After winding around in there, avoiding fallen trees, realizing the benefits of a horse which can just head out cross country, we made it out.
We had such a great time up there, I hope I can spend more time up there next year. I always appreciate my mom and Penny's desire to have a good time whether it be riding the horses, touring on the motorbikes or sitting around the camp fire visiting.
So Monday brought me down off the hill to the news that Cruiser had been out during the day. Thankfully Betty and a couple of men working for her saw him and caught him. By the looks of the hay I would guess he spend a better part of the roaming around the farm. When I thanked Miguel for catching him I learned that he was down the creek hanging out in the trees when he spotted him. Miguel said "Man that horse can really run!" Just what everyone wants to here about their accident prone show horse. As they say, all's well that ends well.
This week Hadley has been attending a dance camp for 3 and 4 year olds. She seems to really enjoy it. It is very entertaining watching the kids dancing and trying to take direction on what moves to perform. The first day was rather hellish because I had Kate with me and she wanted no part of sitting and watching like the other well behaved siblings. Betty was kind enough to watch her the second day so I could capture this streak of Hadley dancing across the room at the end of class. 
A quick note to say I am back in the saddle again with Cruiser. It felt great to get a ride in and he was ready for work. Looks like we are going to be preparing for the Region 1 Experience in Nampa at the end of July.

No comments:
Post a Comment