Sunday, August 17, 2008

Mama Mia

I think it would be safe to say it is hotter than the hubs of hell today. And yesterday. And the day before. I am now ready for a break in the weather. A nice big rain storm would suit me well since everyone around us is done with harvest. But I will take what we have with a smile on my face. And with that smile, I look back to the last several days...

Thursday was a nice break from the usual days. Betty took the girls in the morning which gave me a chance to run errands and work around the farm without trying to keep an eye on the girls too. A run to Bordertown filled up the feed bins for all the animals and then I was able to pick up posts to complete the final side of fencing we are putting in. After lunch with Doug and Dean at Mongolian BBQ and a pass through the Dollar Store (without purchases I might add) I returned to the farm and got to work getting some things done around here. After the evening air cooled off a bit Doug and I fired up the motorcycles and took a spin through the country side. While riding down a gravel road close to nothing I spotted a little black dog along side the road in a field trying to find shade next to an overgrown weed. We immediately stopped and picked him up. It broke my heart to see this poor little thing abandoned out here on this lonely road. The chances of them getting found is slim and it was so hot, over 100. Of course he isn't wearing a collar, isn't neutered and hasn't been reported missing. The good news is he is a wonderful little dog, very good with kids, cats and other dogs. Anyone need another dog? Doug named him Pico. He looks like a full blooded ghetto mutt to me but I know he has a lot of Chihuahua and Pug in him with good traits from both breeds surfacing in his disposition.


Friday morning we had a nice treat. Our neighbor Eric dropped off Kylie first thing in the morning. Kylie's mom is pregnant and this summer heat is taking it's toll on her so we thought it would be fun if Kylie came over and played in the morning and gave Melissa a break. The girls have developed a real liking for playing dress up and creating things in the play kitchen so that occupied them for quite awhile. When Melissa did come over we had a nice visit and then Kylie went home in the late morning.

Doug got home early from work and we loaded up what we could and headed for the hills. My parents cabin was sounding pretty good to us on this HOT HOT day. When we left our farm the temp read 107. 107! Can you believe it? And this was after 5 pm!! It was a nice break to beat some of the heat up at the cabin by Tollgate. When we arrived Hadley wanted to ride her bike, she has recently started riding without the training wheels so a big part of her thoughts are occupied with bike riding these days. My parents have a nice dirt road that runs back to their cabin so that gave her a good place to play around with the bike. Even though she is within sight we always keep a close eye on her because of the very recent sightings of a black bear on my parents property. In addition to bear, squirrels and deer there has also been mountain lions on the property although I am almost certain all the dogs and noise during the day light hours would keep them at bay.

After a ?restfull? night of sleeping we got up and planned our motorcycle ride. I have a favorite ride that takes us out the breaks of the Umatilla. It is a notch up from logging road riding in terms of skill required in certain sections and I like the challenge. The reward is a stop in a small meadow that opens out to this view. It always looks like I should see a bear rustling for berries in the valley below but so far, no such sightings. Kate and Pico went with us on the ride. Kate loves the bikes and there was no chance of leaving her at home. She loves, with a passion, the "nun nuns" (term coined from the sound the bikes make.) Pico sat on the seat in front of Doug for a rather interesting picture--I wish I had got one of those two heading down the trail together. Pico is just pleased to be with us, no matter where he has to go to share that companionship.
After resting a spell and taking in the sites we mounted up again and headed back to the cabin. Let me take this opportunity to tell you a little bit about our guide, my mother. Mama Mia. I swear she must be part Indian. I usually think of myself as having a good sense of direction and being able to find myself around without issue. But I have to admit, here in writing, I get confused about what turns to take back there in the woods when we are riding our motorcycles. My mom, let's refer to her as Sacajawea, can figure out where to go with her eyes closed. It seems that every time we go out to this site we take a different route. And Sacajawea is always our dutiful guide. She waits for us at every turn to make sure she doesn't lose us. I swear there must be a hundred different trails back there and she can just find her way out every time without getting lost. We always have a great time riding the trails. I look forward to our next trip up there.
I must divulge one of my weaknesses while up at the cabin besides eating anything sweet I can get my hands on. I love to work on jigsaw puzzles. And I am pretty good if I don't say so myself. It might be what a jigsaw puzzle represents more than anything. A simple, uncomplicated life without a lot of demands. If someone has time to sit down and put together a picture cut into 1000 pieces than there must not be a whole lot else to do. And what a luxury that is!! No water to move, no lawns to mow, no animals to feed, to laundry to do, ironing, grocery shopping, or bills to pay. Nope. The things we focus on up at the cabin are what we will be eating, where the kids are and where we will be riding our bikes or horses. Can't beat it!! So that, my friends, is one of the many reasons we enjoy going to the cabin. And when I say we, I mean Doug and I. Doug:Master of the Universe.
So Sunday was catch up day. We got up early, unloaded wood for fencing, mowed the lawns, watered all the plants at our place and Doug's moms, and took care of the animals. Doug had a friend and his boys come out to ride their dirt bikes on the track so that took a good part of the morning. After they left I got a quick ride in on Cruiser before the temperature rose above 100. It has been fun to get back in the saddle and I am trying to get ready for a horse show in September in Monroe.
Our new renters/friends moved in on Sunday. Ashleigh and her mom, Tara, are going to be spending the month with us before they move into their new home in town. They moved here from Moses Lake and her husband will be following at the end of the month. Ashleigh and Hadley and Kate are enjoying riding bikes and playing while Tara and I get a chance to visit. And one added bonus to having them here? Tara is a great showperson and I hope to pick her brain and get a few lessons in showmanship and equitation while she is here! We were so happy to share the beautiful sunset with them and then we turned out sites to the full moon (Green Corn Moon this month) rising over the hill. Oh it was SO pretty! Another reason to be thankful to live out here on the farm.

No comments: