Sunday, January 4, 2009

Shimmering January Morning



So I thought perhaps we had seen the last of our bitter cold winter weather but I was in for a little shock Saturday morning when I woke up to more snow. It was a nice dusting, the temps colder than anticipated but we had grown accustomed to it in December so I just pulled my snow boots on and trudged on. Saturday night I had the Mountain States Quarter Horse banquet in Pasco at the TRAC. My friend Tara joined me for the drive over. We stopped by Columbia Center and returned a couple of things and then went over to my friend Cathy's for a cocktail before we met up with horse show buddies for a year end celebration. The evening was fun, I enjoyed visiting with my buddies and I came home with 3 awards. I have to laugh though, one of the awards was a buckle for high point Amateur Hunter Under Saddle. They had made a rather major mistake by adding a Paso Fino for the English horse. Ummmm....no. They are sending all the English buckles back. The halter horses look something like a halter horse being shown by some man showing pigs. Instead of a lead shank he is holding a stick. So I am glad I didn't work all year just to end up with something like that! I got a very nice pair of cordless Laube clippers that I am looking forward to using and a saddle blanket carrier.
We had a couple of hunters staying in our guest house this week. They made us dinner twice and it was fun to go down and visit over a few glasses of wine and enjoy a really well made dinner. John is a fantastic cook and he made an elk meatloaf with turnips and then we had a pheasant stir fry another night. They headed out this morning after a week long of hunting. The bitter cold spell we had has been hard on the animals on the farm including the pheasants. They said many are missing their tail feathers which is the result of them being sluggish and weak and coyotes getting close to filling their bellies.
New Years was fun. Betty watched the girls. She took them to Milton-Freewater for a light show with her friend Marcia. The girls loved it. And that was followed by a serious game of hide and seek in Betty's house with flash lights. I can only imagine the thrill that must have been. Kate and Hadley are amazingly brave. But while they were having a wild time we were making a few stops at different friends house to bring in the new year. We finished up at the Kimball's with a lot of fun playing 4-5-6. Whew!!
This morning we awoke to some of the most beautiful frost I have ever seen. It was wind swept so it stood about an inch on the northeast side of all the branches and shimmered in the morning sunshine. Despite the beauty, the temps in teens called for another round of hauling water and dragging out the trough heaters and running extension cords. I have my mom's horses out here while they winter in Sedona so I have two more animals relying on my ability to keep things running smoothly. They are great guests.

No comments: