
I suppose I should say a little something about the chickens. I love chickens. I had wanted chickens for a long time and a year ago, May 22-my birthday, we bought 12 chicks. Long story made very short we now have 4 of those original hens and 1 additional hen purchased at a garage sale. Then my mom thought it would be fun to give the girls some more chicks for Easter so she picked up 8 chicks from the "Free Chick Days" at our local farm supply store. Come to find out, they are not only a mix of breeds but also a mix of boys and girls. Great. So I guess you could say I was feeling like with 13 chickens was enough to contend with but I made a trip to the feed store and while I waited in line I noticed a selection of "exotic" chicks trying to find new homes. I came home with 3 and by the end of the day we were down to 1. Exotic chicks don't seem to be the heartiest bunch. Because of the trouble with the first two we refrained from naming the remaining chick, hoping to keep Hadley emotionally distanced from her. That was the plan anyway. My friend Brooke was here a couple weeks ago spending the weekend with us and Hadley was showing her the animals and this chick in particular. Brooke asked Hadley what her name was but Hadley replied we hadn't named her. Brooke said "Well, I think you should name her. What should her name be?" Hadley thought a moment and then she said "Jesus." And so it shall be. Her name is Jesus. Believe me, I tried to convince her to name it something different. "How about Mary?" "I love Jesus" said Hadley. Do you think we will burn in hell for naming a crazy looking chick after Jesus?

No comments:
Post a Comment