Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mothers Day


As the sun sets on this mothers day I am feeling very thankful for such a nice day spent with the family. For my special gift Doug put up a big stout hitching post in front of my tack room. He knows how to make a cowgirls heart flutter. We sunk a couple of big railroad ties and then used a part of our old telephone pole for the cross member and we need to drive a few screws through it before we can truly call it complete but I am looking forward to putting it to use. My horse set up here on the farm has been slow but it makes appreciate them when I finally get them. It wasn't until last spring that I finally got water down at the horse barns and this year I got my tack room set up.

Hadley and I did something fun this afternoon while Kate took her nap. We made some cheese! I had been wanting to make some for quite awhile and just felt like mothers day afternoon would be a perfect opportunity to do something special. I had ordered supplies from the "cheese queen" a couple months ago. I learned about the cheese queen when reading Barbara Kingsolvers latest book, Animal Vegetable Miracle. So we decided to whip up some mozzarella. It wasn't nearly as tricky as I thought. It was just a matter of heating a gallon of milk in a stainless steel pot and watching the temp with a thermometer. I added some rennin and citric acid and then waited for it to curdle and separate. With only a couple more steps of heating and separating whey and adding salt it wasn't long before we were munching on our first batch of Dunham cheese.

Doug took some time this afternoon to level my arena more. The riding area has also been an on going project and I think we are finally getting it close to where I want it to be this spring. With the help of a good sprinkler system we can control the dust and maintain a level, soft footing to train in. Not sure how long it will be before I can ride again. Cruiser will be going into Associated Vet Clinic early this week to have Dr Kaiser evaluate his right hind leg, I am concerned he injured himself while playing in the pasture last week. I am betting we will be looking at some time off to recover from a possible tendon injury.

So as the sun thinks about setting, I will sign off so I can bbq some salmon and enjoy a salad with some fresh mozzarella and fresh strawberries followed by brownies little miss hadley elizabeth baked this afternoon. Hey, we might even finish it off with a nice glass of Canoe Ridge Cabernet. Buenos noches.

No comments: