Friday, September 5, 2008

Cock of the Walk



With the fair and trip to Hood River behind us we start the school year. Hadley started at Betty's preschool on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. This is the same preschool that Doug and I met at so many years ago. She has one day under her belt and seems to think it will be a good place to go. She is also returning to Kids Place on Monday and Wednesday's which is a great school that we already know she loves. It was easy for her to head back to Kids Place and see her familiar teachers and play ground and toys. There are new faces in her class but she will meet them soon and it will be old hat before long. I am having to adjust to having Hadley gone during the days, I really miss her and can't believe how quickly she is growing up.




Thursday night my neighbor Melissa called and said they were available to help round up their chickens. They got a flock of chickens back in the spring for their daughter, Kylie. All was well until they realized their lab wasn't going to get used to the chickens and stop waiting for someone to slip up and let her out when the chickens were in the yard. So, after losing a few chickens, they did the merciful thing and asked me if I would take them. Hadley and I loaded up in the truck as the sun started to set and headed over to their place. I needed Hadley, my chicken whisperer, to help me catch them. There were only 3 but they had a reputation of being pretty wild and hard to catch. Thankfully, with dusk on our side, they were relatively docile and we got three caught without much trouble. From left they are named Annie, a Rhode Island Red; Bitty, a Black Rosecomb and the rooster is possibly a Wyandotte that Hadley named Gallo. As you can see, he is missing his brilliant tail feathers. Thankfully the dog didn't kill him. Hopefully he will fit in here.



Hadley and Kate had a play date with Kylie Friday morning. They played inside with Melissa and I visited and then we moved outside for a wagon ride. We sure appreciate having such nice neighbors. They have us some of the best corn I have ever had. It was so a treat to get corn that was fresh picked from their friends field. I cooked it up just as soon as I got home and I swear we all enjoyed it as much as a bowl of ice cream!!

And lastly we have our token horse riding photo. This time we see Kate in the saddle.

No comments: