Wednesday, December 3, 2008

21 Days and counting...



A friend sent this picture of a cat taken with a trail camera which was set up next to the remains of a deer. It is about 10-15 miles from our home. The mountain lion populations continue to grow in the northwest and I would guess it wouldn't be too many more years before we see them further down in the valley. In fact, one official with the department of natural resources said the numbers say there is probably already one living down along our creek somewhere but I doubt it since I haven't seen any evidence. They are beautiful animals and I enjoy seeing photos. Hope I don't run into one face to face.

I am cracking up. My kids CRACK ME UP!! Let's start with Hadley (pictured below with Grass). She is totally into Christmas this year. She was up at the crack of down on Monday signing a song about it being the first day of December. She LOVES winter. And December is an over the top exciting month for her because of Christmas AND her birthday. So I ask her...what do you want from Santa? Ummmm....well...."I want an x-ray." Surely I misunderstood what she wants. "A what?" And she confirms it, "I want an x-ray." A chest x-ray to be exact because, she explains, it's the only way she can really see what is inside her. Wow. And when asked what she wants me sister and her family to get her she said she wants a diamond size snow globe (and what would that be??) and an accordion. So chew on that for awhile.

And then there is Kate. We were reading one of her little golden books last night and it is Pinocchio. But she has her own way to saying it. It is pokin' okie. Too cute.
So we are gearing up for Christmas. I still have some lingering fall decorations around that I will need to get down asap if Hadley is to be happy. She wants lights, lights and more lights. It will be fun to see what we can put together this season. We were supposed to be hosting the Christmas party for Doug's office but they decided to move it to a local restaurant. It would have been fun to have everyone out to the farm but a tremendous amount of work so I am thankful for the change.

Here is a funny picture of Kate I took last week. I got a great big box of new paints, brushes, etc. for the kids (primarily Hadley) to use in their crafting activities. This is what happens when 2 years olds are left unattended with paint. But as you can see, she has her apron on to keep her from getting paint on her clothes.


For the time being, everyone seems pretty healthy. We were fighting the crud over Thanksgiving so my very funny sister and her very funny family showed up for dinner looking like this. We had to take a few pictures to make sure we got one with everyone smiling.


The weather has been damp and dreary. And it seems I have been stuck inside for far too long. I haven't been able to ride and the horses are standing in mud, I really hate this part of the year in terms of horse ownership. Last year at this time Cruiser was living large in California at the trainer's. I apologize to him daily when I feed that he can't be enjoying the same lap of luxury this winter season. But if he was gone Elvis would be so lonely.
I am enjoying a quiet evening since the kids are in bed and Doug is still at work catching up on the endless paperwork. I can't even recall the last time it was quiet at this time of the night. Usually I have to be up at 2 am to enjoy this kind of solitude! So, on that note, I better get some other things done.


No comments: