Monday, December 15, 2008

Feeding Frenzy








With the bitter cold weather, I have had a group of birds lingering around the deck off our bedroom waiting ever so patiently for me to fill the bird feeder so they could fill their itty bitty little bellies. So as soon as I got a few things done around the house I drug out the 40 lb bag of feed and filled the bird feeder. And then I waited. Patiently. With camera in hand. It was like a shark feeding frenzy when they throw bloody meat in the water, minus the aggression, or the water. Or the blood. My feathered friends flocked to the deck. The birds come in all shapes and sizes. Red winged black birds, starlings (don't tell Doug) and little finches. I love them all. And no, I am not turning into one of those wacko bird watchers.


This little fellow seems to have gotten himself into a bit of a predicament. Ummm...and I am a helpless bird watcher, committed to studying but not getting involved in the circle of life unless the problem is man made. Ok, not really but I don't know how I would catch him and chip that snow and ice off his beak. Maybe I can get Hadley, the bird whisperer, involved after school.


Half way through my window photo session I noticed the numbers were decreasing until they were eventually all gone. I thought I was holding perfectly still so they would not see me but I quickly realized what the threat was...not me but GRASS!!


This deck provides some of my favorite farm entertainment. Among other strange things I enjoy, one of my favorite evening past times is laying/lying (I can never remember which one it is) in bed with the lights off and the deck light on watching the different cats come in for their nightly feeding. When daylight is upon us you would think we only have 4 cats but in reality we have many more. Simple things for simple minds.




Now back to my obligations...

No comments: