Sunday, October 26, 2008

Elvis Jumps Jesus

Yes, it's true. Elvis jumped Jesus. This afternoon couldn't have been more glorious and I decided the horses would enjoy taking a run and grazing on the pasture so I went down to let them out of their pens. Cruiser galloped off. Then I opened the next gate and Elvis bolted out. Jesus, blind to the world, decided to mosey across the pasture right in the line of fire. Thankfully Elvis is quick as a cat and reactted with precision leaping over the white fro of feathers. Whew!! So Jesus is no worse for the wear, still confused about what happened, but she will live to see another day.



But let me back track a little. Let's review yesterday. Kate and Hadley went down to their grandma's for a play date which gave us a little time. As I was deciding what to do I noticed 2 police officers wandering around our patio taking to Doug. So of course I had to go see what was happening. Turns out they were Fish and Wildlife officers here questioning Doug about the dead moose in Idaho. Because he turned it in he became a suspect. Apparently, this a ploy sometimes used by people after they have shot something illegally thinking this will cast suspicion away from them but it does the opposite. As Doug says, Let no good deed go unpunished. They had determined what type of rifle was used in the shooting and wanted to ask Doug about it. Now it might not be a surprise but Doug has a large collection of rifles and pistols so as luck would have it he owned one of the rifles possibly used in the shooting. They wanted to come in and see the guns. Great... Come into the ABSOLUTE dirtiest room in our home. The man room/hobby room and see tables covered with empty beer bottles (Doug has been brewing beer and needs them for his batches) and the cat box and more beer bottles and RC airplanes...and then let's open our personal safe for these men and here is most things important to us. Wills, guns and more guns, photos and horse videos of horse by gone. Once they inspected the gun in question it became obvious to them it hadn't been fired in a LONG time but just for good measure Doug fired it into a target so they could retrieve the bullet and send it away to the crime lab where they will compare it to the bullet retrieved. Another learning lesson, every barrel of a gun is unique because of the process they use to make them so everyone bullet fired through it will have certain characteristics almost like a finger print. Once the interview seemed to be officially over they admitted that Doug was a rather major suspect because he had spent so much money for an out of state tag ($375) and hauled our giant horse trailer back there and then only stayed a few days as opposed to a week minimum like many others. I had to pipe in at that time and ask if they would like to meet exhibit A and exhibit B, the primary reason our trip was cut short?



Had a great ride yesterday. As I said earlier, Betty took the girls, and after the officers left I made a bee line for the horse pen. I saddled up Elvis and put a halter on Cruiser to pony him and headed out. The sunset could have been right out of a Charles Russell painting. I had never seen such pinks and blues. Cruiser, Elvis and I had a nice ride and it was finished by a close encounter with a great horned owl looking over us from one of the trees we rode under.

Lastly, I got the RARE chance to sit down and watch a movie and NO it was not Beauty and the Beast or Cinderella--in fact, it didn't have any cartoon characters in it AND it had foul language!! What a treat! I was a big fan of the HBO series Sex in the City and they came out with a movie that reunites the girls back in NYC. I loved it. It took me back to my escape of watching these four women struggle through bad relationships, marriage, parenthood, and many other challenges we all struggle with. If you enjoyed the series give the movie a try. It was a good way to end the evening.

Oh, one more thing...have you ever tried those weird wine-looking antioxidant drinks? They have the good stuff from red wine and muscadine minus the booze? I got a bottle at Costco called Reversitall plus and I swear to you, on my white crested black polish chicken, I can feel a difference in my joints! It claims to prevent free radical damage to cells, support immune system and promotes a healthy heart. It says on the back of the box "You have to consume large amounts of red wine to gain the benefits in 1 serving of Reversitall Plus!" Yeah, but 1 serving of Reversitall Plus ain't nearly as much fun. So you might want to take a chance on it next time you are at Costco.

Over and out.

No comments: