Saturday, October 18, 2008

Orofino or Bust

Blame it on pregnancy. Especially Kate. That's when it started. Waking up at 2 am is not something I would have otherwise considered. I don't think I ever was awake at 2 am before I was pregnant but it seems to be one of the things that stuck with me long after the babies came. So here I am at the computer hoping to share a little of the day trip my mom and I went on.

Not too awfully long ago I sent an email to a friend, Katie, who lives in Orofino, Idaho. Katie is from Walla Walla and we have known her and her family for a long time. She is married to a really wonderful man and has two beautiful children. And she also has a large percentage of the small herd of horses we have raised over the years. When I emailed her I asked her if she would like to add one more to the herd. So that is where it began. She accepted my offer of adding Cash to their herd and a road trip was planned.

Cash and my mom loaded up at the crack of dawn this morning and we headed out for a trip across eastern Washington and into Idaho to deliver him. Orofino sits about an hour up the Clearwater River from Lewiston and what a pretty drive it was with the fall colors and countless boats fishing in the Clearwater. Before we started up the long steep hill to their farm I decided I needed to go to the bathroom so we stopped in what I thought to be the sleepy town of Greer. As soon as I stepped out of the truck it seemed the animals came out of the woodwork and Greer wasn't so sleepy after all. Semi's were coming in both directions, someones dumb little wiener dog was trotting in and out of the road trying to come visit us but being scared of us in the same turn. Okie jumped out of the back of the truck and was running around trying to find me. More cars were coming. The dumb wiener dog went back and stood in the middle of the road. My mom and I both covered our eyes so as not to witness the sure death of the dumb dog in the shadows on the road. A handful of cats came running out of the house closest to the road and scattered here and there. So we tended to our business and moved on quickly to avoid sure disaster. Thankfully no animals were killed in this segment of our adventure.

So we twisted and turned and awed at the drop offs as we drove up and up this hill. Finally when we were almost to the top we reached what had to be their driveway. The Bird family lives on a picturesque working farm on the top of the prairie. It was a classic old yellow farm house with a number of weather outbuildings that equipment and animals call home. Cash unloaded and looked around and I could swear I heard him say, "I'm home." He grazed on the lead rope and checked things out. Even laid down and rolled while I was holding him and visiting with Mike.

Soon we were joined by the rest of the family. Katie and her two darling kids. Their daughter is a born rider. She immediately wanted to show off her riding skills for us. She has my mom's mare, Scout, and the two have become quite a pair. They also have Cash's brother, Sport, who is now 20. He was the first foal we ever raised. They now own Jewel, their mother, and at 24 she looks fantastic. And now, they have Cash to add to their herd. I hope it works out because they are a fantastic home.

After we turned Cash out in their arena to settle in, we stood around and visited while Okie and their dog ran around and around the farm. They had two ponds and the dogs took a few swims in addition to checking for birds and other varmints. While the we chatted their son, 3 1/2, asked his dad if they could do some farming while the girls talked. Talk about born to farm!! What a fantastic help he will be to his dad as he gets older. A real blessing considering the love of the land they share and all the work to be done.

So after visiting we decided we better load up and start our 3 hour drive home so my mom could get back in the day light to get up to their cabin for the weekend. We said our good byes and with a feeling of contentment I started the truck and headed home. I have never felt so peaceful about saying good bye to a horse. He has been a good horse and we have been through a number of life changes together. He moved with me through every step of Doug's medical school and residency. We have ridden in the Cascades, the high desert, the Blue Mountains and beyond. So now he can see even more beautiful ground with them.

After a relatively quick stop at Costco in Clarkston, we headed back home getting home with plenty of day light. It was nice to go down and see Cruiser and Elvis, eager to see me but wondering where Cash was. Elvis even let out a nicker. They had become great buddies. This will give me more time to focus on the two remaining horses.

Betty had watched the girls while I went on my trip. She reported that the goats climbed her fence twice while I was away and she had to get them out of her yard. I don't know what I am going to do with those goats. I hate to keep them penned up and feed them my good (precious in today's economy) hay when there is so much around the farm to eat if they free range. But now that I know they are climbing her bank and getting into her yard I can't turn them lose. Anyone want a couple of nice goats? I suppose I didn't do a good job of selling them in the previous statement.

So we now look forward to a beautiful weekend. Doug is not on call so I imagine he will hit the deer trail again. I am hoping to get a ride or two in. With that, I bid you good night. Or should I say good morning?

No comments: