Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Hunters Moon


Tonight is a hunters moon. With the leaves falling and the deer fattened, it is time to hunt. Since the fields have been reaped, hunters can easily see pheasants and the animals which have come out to glean. Or so tonight's moon is described in the farmers almanac. We had a bit of a slaughter out here last weekend and I don't think there are but a few bucks left in the area it seems. Doug and I are both mourning the loss of such a beautiful herd that faithfully spent every evening with us in the fields grazing all summer long.


But let's look on the bright side. Seth, who works in the ER at St Mary's, went hunting with Doug Sunday morning. Doug took them out hunting with nothing to show for their hunt other than some good stories. But to show their gratitude they spent the afternoon helping us cut up a tree that had recently fallen and cut it up into fire wood. This was such a HUGE help, I hope they realize how much we appreciated it. We have so much wood our quad has been kicked out of it's usual parking spot so we can store the wood undercover.


I have been watching a friends little boys on Tuesday afternoons and into the evenings while she attends classes at the local college. We always have alot of fun, most of our time is spent down with the horses and chickens and goats. Luke and Gavin have been friends with Hadley and Kate since they moved here two years ago. I had to laugh today when the kids were down playing at the barn and I talked to the farrier while he put new shoes on Elvis. I noticed a wet spot on Luke's pants and I asked him what it was. His expression changed from smiling to concern when he looked down. He learned a lesson the hard way, pockets are not a good way to transport eggs to the house. lol. Hadley marveled at how Elvis could stand on three legs really well while Joe worked on his back hoof nailing on the shoe and she repeatedly told Joe how good at it Elvis was. She also told Joe she thought he was a really good horse doctor the way he was applying the shoe. HA!


Tonight I have felt like a real pioneer woman. My neighbor, Melissa, inspired me to make apple sauce after I smelled it cooking at her house last Friday. After asking my grandma for recommendations of what kind of apples to use (
I got a variety of McIntosh) she graciously lent me the tools of the trade. I was thrilled to borrow her apple mill and pot to cook the apples that belonged to HER mother making them at least 100 years old. WOW! So I have made several batches of apple sauce and love the process. Although the recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar for every 5 cups of apple sauce I have used no more than 1 or 2 tbsp because I think the apples are sweet enough in their natural state. A dash of nutmeg and a few shakes of cinnamon and there you have one of life's simplest pleasures...home made apple sauce. Ahhhh.... And to make it even better, the goats and chickens will get to induldge in a treat tomorrow by cleaning up all the apple left overs after the process is complete making everyone happy.


Tomorrow morning (Friday) my mom and I are heading out on a road trip. Yep, we haven't been on one for a long time it seems but Doug's mom is watching the girls and we are heading to Orofino, Idaho. My horse, Cash, is going to be moving to live with the Bird family along with his brother, sister and mom. I hope it works out because they would be a fantastic home for him. And he would be a great horse for them too. He has a lot of good stuff to offer. The trailer is hooked up, the tank is full. Orofino here we come!











1 comment:

Christa, Mom, The Guy, and Kids 1-3 said...

Can't believe how little sugar you used in that applesauce! I have been giving what you sent home with us to the boys for desert.

Sad to see Cash leaving! I hope he loves, and is loved at, his new home.